Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT-walking vs. cycling-OT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT-walking vs. cycling-OT
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been walking as a form of exercise for the last couple of years. I can't even consider jogging because my knees won't take the pounding...too many years spent skiing, being dumped off snowmobiles, doing body work etc.

I am starting to become bored with the same old routine and am wondering if cycling would be a decent alternative to walking?

My objective is not to lose huge amounts of weight but to just keep huge amounts of weight from accumulating and to keep active.

Any comments on whether cycling is as good as walking, (I know it is better than vegetating, of course), whether it is tough on the knees etc.

Remember, I am an old fart of almost 60!!

Gees, I just had a thought...maybe I should borrow someone's bike and give it a try and find out for myself before I go out and spend $300 on a bike!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Anyway, any comments and input would be appreciated.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, as an old fart of almost 59.... i'd do both, and do...walk and ride. running always seemed like work to me, but I know that runners get in the zone, etc, whatever floats your cork... We've been doing 4-6 mile walks, actually, striding, but not that flouncy kinda power walk..., and when I next ride, notice more strength and endurance. They work well together.

Riding, you can cover SO MUCH MORE TERRITORY,

With all the bread you make in your work, put out the extra bucks and get a well fitted bike, not a costco or london drug honker... Kona is my choice... a 3" travel fork will be happy for your wrists, spend 600-800(not a lot, in the big picture, you COULD put out 2000-3000, but don't need to)
yes, riding, expands your territory, more signs to see in less time!! lol

John Lennig / SignRider

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 60+, I ride an ol' 12 speed touring bike and an original black pinstriped edition Schwinn Cruiser 5 speed which I restored 2 years back. Bicycles are fun and keep me together as much or more as any other smoker. I like cruising downtown and leave the mountain bikes for the yuppies as well as those new fan dangled sofa bikes. [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget swimming- It'll be a better overall workout than either biking or walking.

biking is easier on the joints but harder on the rump, unless you buy the right seat. If you cycle a lot and have a firm seat you can go impotent!!

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just gonna say the same thing Steve.
Bike seats can be a killer! Especially if you are like me and are very short. I even had my pal cut an inch off the tube that the seat screws onto. Nuthin' doin. Still feels reallllly bad. If I wanna hurt "down there" I want it to be from a FUN reason, not a darn bike seat!

I would stick with walking Dave, or try swimming if possible. I like to walk a mile after dinner with my kids, then build up to 2 miles. At least when you're walking you can't wipe out like when on a bike. Did I mention that I am very clumsy?

Love...Jill
PS
I'll give you my bike! I hate it!

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave,

Ditto, on having your bike fitted to suit your body frame. When I was ready to purchase a 'real' bike, I visited a local dealer. Much like buying a car, they allowed me to take a spin. I was awestruck at the differences in each of the bikes I tried out. They, should also take the time to explain to you the proper height of seat, extension of the legs and arms, etc. Oh! A good cusioned seat is a must! ha!

I, ended up with a 15 speed, Woodlands Schwinn. It sports big knobby tires, which get me through sand and gravel, etc., when I'm off the road as well as lend a bit more security (I hate wiping out!) when hitting sand and gravel when on the road making turns, etc. It has cusioned hand grips, which turned out to be a real plus. Though, I did invest in a pair of fancy gloves, with gel in the palms for additional comfort.

Cycling, is an excellent means for a cardiovascular work out and easy on the knees. I have bad knees - too many wild games of 'bust ass' at the local skating rink, when I was young and dumb!

At the height of my cycling experience, I purchased a book on the do's and dont's and found it very informative as well as encouraging, for a good work out. Drink plenty of water, or you'll do more harm than good. To keep muscles from aching, DRINK WATER, and do stetches before and after the ride. For a decent work out, take it easy and steady for 10-20 minutes, then 'push it' for cardio, another 10-20 minutes, then easy, steady for a cool down period of another 10-20 minutes. Afterwards, you'll feel like you're walking on air!

Hope this helps...

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

You're advocating walking or biking?
What about driving? If we all travelled as you suggest, car manufacturers would be laying off employees, gas prices would rise, car prices would go through the roof and.....
um.
wow, just like 1979. TIME WARP!
JK [Razz]

I really enjoy the swimming. Good overall workout and all you need is water and warmth.
Just haven't got the knees for biking these days.

Be well...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahahaha Ray...Yeah, I can just picture myself cycling down the road with a 3/4x4x8 project sign strapped to my back!

It WOULD be a workout though, especially in a good head wind! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy chatham
Resident

Member # 525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy chatham   Email jimmy chatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my power wheel chair
don't give me much
exercise but i don't
fall down as much. [Wink]

--------------------
Jimmy Chatham
Chatham Signs
468 stark st
Commerce, Ga 30529

Posts: 1766 | From: Commerce, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this is not sacrilegious but I've found a job I enjoy even more than signwriting! From May to September I become an Assistant Lock-Keeper on the River Thames. The only problem is, it involves walking about 16 miles a day and that's hard when you've been vegetating in front of an easel or computer all winter!
This year, I thought I'd try to get a bit of resilience back in my legs, so, yesterday; I went for a bike ride. Got a bit carried away and pedalled hard for an hour or so. I dismounted and slumped to my knees! Someone had stolen my shinbones!
Think I'll take it a bit easier next time.

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe_Jones
Visitor
Member # 4647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe_Jones   Email Joe_Jones       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try these bikes

Rat Fink bike

http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/streamride/sr_19.html
 -

Or

Rat Rod

http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/streamride/sr_6.html
 -

--------------------
Joe Jones
Indainola, Iowa

Posts: 4 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Doggett
Merchant

Member # 1409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Doggett   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Doggett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave:

Caveat: I'm a former road racer ... could be I'm genetically advantaged when it comes to turning over pedals.

That said, cycling rules. Get a road bike. And don't be fooled by large cushie seats. A thinner race saddle has fewer pressure points. Your tailbone will toughen. Also, being in a more aero position will make riding way easier. Larger, high-pressure tires also have much lower rolling resistance. They key is not to suffer on a bike. It's to get into your aerobic range, and keep it there for an hour or hours.

Benefits of cycling:

Low impact and range or motion (easy on the bod)
Can sustain longer period of aerobic exercise
Builds quads and hams ... large (fat-burning) muscle groups
You get to wear dorky/colorful Lycra outfits

Other tips:

Clip-in pedals rule; you'll spin and be more efficient ... and be more secure when doing out-of-saddle climbing

Eat before you're hungry; drink before you're thirsty

Down-side of cycling:

Sleep deprived every July ... the Tour de France is best enjoyed live :-) Go Lance!

Best Regards,
Jim

--------------------
Jim Doggett
General Manager, USA
Yellotools, Ltd
www.yellotools.com

Posts: 500 | From: Sherman, TX USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....Everything that Cher and Jim (and the others too) said is right on. Patronise a real bike shop and they will fill you in further. And DO NOT get a bike from a hardware store, Wall Mart or K mart. Details like frame size, angles and styles will make a HUGE difference to your riding comfort. Different saddles will too. It's like shoes, get the correct fit.

...And, $300 is only going to get you a cheaply made, and heavy bike. You could find a real nice used bike for that much though. Like in the sign business, you get what you pay for... and it's especially true for a bike as well.

Good post dude !!!

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan of road bikes too (I also have a long cycling background) but Dave, you might be happier with a touring bike or a hybrid. Tour bikes and hybrids are much like a road bike except they'll have more gears (18 or 21 speeds are common) to make hill climbing easier, they have slightly larger tires which aren't as prone to spontaneous combustion as a road bike tire (when the tire is only 3/4" wide and pumped to 110psi, EVERYTHING on the road is a tire hazard) and the frame geometry is often easier on your back and arms.

When selecting a bike, you should be able to stradle the top bar and with your feet flat on the floor there should be a couple inches from the top of the frame to your inseam.

When adjusting the height of the seat, your legs should be just slightly bent (not completely straight) when the pedal is at the bottom of its path. When the pedal comes to the top of its path this seat position will keep you from having to bend your knee too much which will keep you from developing knee problems.

The handlebars can be raised so you do not have to lean over them as much which reduces back pain *and* pain in your arms, wrists and hands. You want to adjust it so your back is able to *comfortably* support all your body weight while keeping the load OFF your arms, leaving them free for simply controlling the direction of the bike.

Pedals with toestraps will allow you to actually *pull* the pedals up in the upstroke so if you're interested in working out another muscle group, you can. They also help keep your feet on the pedals yet still let you slip out pretty easily when needed.

A recumbent bike is another option. A recumbent has a seat that puts you in a reclining position.
The only people who think they're easy to ride is people who have never tried one. They're TWICE as hard as riding a regular upright bike, especially when it comes to hills, because you simply cannot use your bodyweight to manhandle the pedals. They're expensive though, unless you buy a used one you're looking at $2,000 and up.

Too bad you arent nearby Dave, I've got one of each type of bike! [Smile]

Oh yeah... I'm kinda partial to Cannondale bikes.. nice solid frames, great hill climbers. They have a wide selection of bikes and range from $400 on up to several thousand depending what you're looking for.

You can probably find some pretty good deals on used higher end bikes. I'd go to the bike shops and get fitted, then see what kinda deals on used bikes you can find. The dealers I used to go to when I lived in Missouri had annual "swap meets" and warehouse sales where people could bring their stuff for sale and the dealers would unload inventory for cheap so they would have room for the new models.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL WR,

I am laughing at the thought of someone going to Wal-Mart and actually asking a "do you know..." question...

[ April 22, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies folks...they have given me several points to consider.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You get to wear dorky/colorful Lycra outfits

BWAHAHahahahaha ... benifit for who? hahahahahaa, cough, wheeze, spit, hahahahaha
Dave, don't forget to shave your arms to cut down on wind resistance hahaha
Just fun'n, I know diddley about "real bikes" ... I ride around the neighborhoods most every nice day with my kids ... on a cobbled together 10 speed I built 20+ years ago

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!