Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dumb question #489 - Etched Glass Vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dumb question #489 - Etched Glass Vinyl
coop
Visitor
Member # 504

Icon 5 posted      Profile for coop   Email coop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya 'Heads,

I've got a job where etched glass would look great, but sandblasting &/or chemical etching are not feasible. I think the "etched-look" vinyl would do nicely.

Now here's the dumb question part: Do I install the vinyl on the outside of the glass? Or do I cut it in reverse, and mount it inside?

Thanks in advance,
Coop

--------------------
David Cooper,
The Sign Shack
Enid, OK.

Posts: 658 | From: Enid,Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ON CLEAR GLASS IT LOOKS GREAT FROM BOTH SIDES.
Oops, sorry for caps, I would decide based on which side may be more prone to damage or vandalism. If tinted, then I would install from the side they wish to view from,

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would cut in reverse for two reasons:
1) It will probably last longer indoors. I don't the weather the vinyl will see in your part of the world, but I bet it's nicer weather indoors (less walk-by pickers of vinyl too...which leads me to...)
2) People who actually stop & look will have a harder time knowing it is not etched or blasted, thus lending to the illusion your after.

P.S.- I prefer Avery's "Etch Mark" over Gerber/3M "Dusted Crystal" or "Frosted Crystal"

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if its outside where fingers can get to it, it will get picked.

Dont ask me why I know [Wink]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eason
Visitor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eason   Email Steve Eason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Coop,
I just installed over 30' of the stuff last Friday. Although it's usually much easier installing on the outside of the glass (no moving of furniture & window sill clutter), it is better protected on the inside.

My preference is also the Avery Etchmark product. You do have to be careful not to tear or stretch as this stuff is pretty thin.
Good luck!
- Steve

--------------------
Steve Eason
Admiral Signs
Juneau, AK

Posts: 62 | From: Juneau | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 15 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Coop, if you havn't yet tried Rapid Tac or Tac II just e-mail your street address to;
mail@rapidtac.com for FREE samples, it will make life easier and more profitable !

Roger [Eek!]

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Coop ... how's spring in you neck of the woods? Just starting to cool down a bit here.

All comments above are valid. We do a fair bit of etch vinyl including covering 1/2 and full windows in offices. I also did a set of dolphins on our shower doors for Sue [Smile]

Just couple of hints:

Make sure you hands are clean! Surgical gloves are an option. Believe me, you touch the glue side and your print is there for everyone to see. [Smile]

Big areas (single sheets) go down WET WET WET on a pristine clean glass surface cause it will show every fly do do!

Small graphics go down DRY otherwise you are going to be there for hours trying to release the transfer tape. Misting the tape down with water helps make it less agressive when trying to remove.

Finally, if you have the function in your sign system, crop the fine points off everything. The rubber squeeges window cleaners use can curl the tips of the vinyl real quick.

Best of luck mate [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Coop ...Etch mark is the best and as far as durability...I had it on the windhield of my truck for 6 years and never lost a piece of it...the wipers hit it and never so much as scratched it ir rolled a corner up.

Visability will be higer on the outside of the glass...true it will be more protected inside but if there are no vandalism problems in the area you're going to put it I'd opt for outside.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anoter vote for th Avery product.
Someday someone will show me some tricks to make that stuff easy to work with. I often need a light table to see the cut lines to weed it. Trying to see it through application tape is rather awkward also. I think I invent a new procedure every time.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coop
Visitor
Member # 504

Icon 14 posted      Profile for coop   Email coop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate it. [Thanks]

--------------------
David Cooper,
The Sign Shack
Enid, OK.

Posts: 658 | From: Enid,Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Futch
Resident

Member # 1162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Futch   Email Lee Futch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

Try rubbing your pounce bag over the image. This should make your cut lines stand out. And yes we've done this numerous times and have yet to have the dust affect the adhesive.

--------------------
Lee Futch
Signs On Time!
5670 El Camino Real Suite K
Carlsbad, CA 92008
sales@signsot.com

Posts: 27 | From: Carlsbad, CA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Lee's trick all the time. Works great and not just on etch. A fine charcoal stick on white vinyl makes life weeding a whole lot easier. When are they going to come out with dark backing paper on light colors?

Another tip: If you have fine graphics or small lettering. Do the final weeding on the glass.

Rick: If you have problems seeing thro the app tape to register. Cut a small square in each corner and color it with a nicko pen before appling the tape.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
question- would reverse-cutting it make the adhesive more susceptible to UV???

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff I've been getting hasd a black release liner. Even rubbing white shows very little. I think the 20 year olds see the lines just fine though.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!