Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dealing with Government - bizarre

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dealing with Government - bizarre
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a job opening - Looking for an experienced 'vinyl applicator/installer'.

I can't post the job with local manpower centre because they don't have the appropriate job title in their computer system, the closest they have is 'vinyl lettering artist', which is not what I'm looking for. Because they don't have an appropriate title, I can't post the job.

Gotta love it...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another fine example of "OUR GOVERNMENT WORKING FOR US!!!!"

That's pretty sad, Mike. I guess you'll just have to advertise and hire the lettering artist, as the government must know what's best for you.

In the same vein, did you know that Canadian legislation prevents the Gov't from charging user fees at a rate above what that fee costs them to administrate? We just had a bunch of our fees raised here in NS, and the Finance Minister said that he was sure a study would prove that the cost of these fees were in line with the increases, meaning the cost jumped AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME AS HE TABLED A BUDGET...hmmmmmmmm.

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Mike,
I can relate. It took the government nearly a month to classify me when I was laid off after 9-11.
Without the right classification, I wasn't eligible for most of the benefits that they were offering. That included on-the-job training in my current position. When I was finally "labeled"(with help from the local workforce development office), The govt. paid for 1/2 of my salary here for nearly 6 months.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

How about " sign shop assistant"?

Might work [Dunno]
Rapid

[ April 01, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not the point Ray --I'm not looking for a shop assistant

This is what I sent them

Job Opportunity

Vinyl applicator/ installer. Must have experience installing vehicle graphics and general sign installations.

Full time permanent position. Salary D.O.E. Comprehensive health plan.

Send application including references.

They posted it as 'Vinyl lettering artist' and I'm getting applications from every person that thinks they can drive 'print house magic' with a computer. When I pointed out that I don't want a vinyl lettering artist they told me that that's the closest title they could find for the position and they couldn't create new job titles. I told them to pull the listing.

My point is that if I had an opening for a 'left handed paper hanger' that's the way they should post the job and presumably a paper hanger would know why I need a left handed one. Not to list the job because they don't have a title is ridiculous.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IS THIS AN ARIL FOOL'S JOKE????

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Vinyl Lettering Artist"

OK - since I'm Turning Over A New Leaf I will not comment. [Dunno]

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

It's not an April Fool.

Unfortunately beaurocracy needs no special day for stupidity.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good one, Mike- maybe we should have one?

anybody else got any good government jokes I mean incidents?

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Oh Joy ... another one ...

Snip___________________________________________

Dear Sir/Madam,
My naame is xxxxx xxxxxxxx and I am applying for the
job of Vinyl lettering artist. Although I do not have
experiece in this area, I am very willing to learn.
I am a creative person and enjoy drawing and
paintingin my spare time. Currently I am working a
project for the Women's center, drawing a picture that
will reflect Labrador City.
Please consider me for this postion
at the Copy Shop. I hope to her from you in the near
furture.

Sincerely,

I guess spelling isn't her strong suit either...

[ April 01, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!