Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » work order design suggestions requested

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: work order design suggestions requested
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... well in honor of the "form follows function" rule, it's not so much "design" I wanted suggestions on, just functionality.

So far my work orders are a clipboard full of 8-1/2x11 paper from junk faxes & junk mail. I scribble notes on a sheet or 2 while talking to the client & if we get far enough to justify it, I run a copy of my ugly chicken-scratch notes. Usually I can read what I wrote, & often it will include contact numbers, approved colors,prices quoted & the deposit amount collected.(oops... "Deposit" there's a missed field already)

As noted on a recent thread "Growing Pains" I am well under way on a major shop remodel that is geared specifically to making the office/showroom capable of better fitting an additional employee. There was a 10' x 12' darkroom at the back of my 12' x 20' office. Now that I don't do much screen printing at all, I decided to frame up walls in front of the ugly metal siding & will have my electrician put in outlets & recessed lighting to match my existing office & then after the floor tiles, sheetrock & painting is done, I will remove the wall between the two & start rearranging furniture & vinyl racks etc.

My daughter in law is working here about 3 or 4 days a month, she uses a 4x8 table between my desk & the front door. I use that for weeding & other production too, but when I'm there alone I can stop production when a client arrives & use the same table for a sales counter. When she is there, I stay busy at my computer or desk most of the time, but when a client arrives, we both try to work at the same table. That is one of the things that will change with the additional office space, plus I want to put more samples up in the showroom area, & have better access to various sales tools (literature etc.) Also, although it will be a very open layout, I may find some form of partition where I will be able to hide-out & work un-interupted, while she learns to handle the walk-ins by herself. I designed this first draft of a work order that will help her to get the information needed when she begins to take on that role.

Here is new work order so far: (I'm sure it will get tweaked a time or 2)
 -

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

I would suggest a "purchasing" list somewhere (on the back, mayhaps?) that helps you keep track of where you got your vendor materials. I see a list of colors, etc. but having a list where you know what you need to order and what is already ordered, received, on back-order, etc. can really help.

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
figures [Razz] ...my husband did say you look more organized than me....now i know its true...work orders??? whats dat? [Wink]
doug has a great set up...saw it with my own 2 eyes!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the one we use.  -

[ March 23, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Bill Diaz ]

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Horn
Visitor
Member # 4037

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dale Horn   Email Dale Horn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill- that's what I like to see - A deposit line.

Doug if you have a stack of SignCrafts check out
"Developing a comprehesive work order" by Mark Klein Issue #49 (Nov/Dec 1989)

--------------------
Dale Horn
Zennova Systems Inc.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
CANADA
306 665 1438

Posts: 51 | From: Saskatoon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately have a spot for signature & date
signed. Plus a spot for review approval during
work in progress phases.

It's all about who said what, when !

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all replies. I like that signature line Bill. Maybe I can add a note about the any atached sketch being protected property too. The RUSH charge being right there in print looks good as well. I will dig up that old signcraft. Also thanks to Dave Sherby for faxing your forms.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the work orders that Estimate has?

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the work orders that Estimate has?

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

oh, I didn't know about them. I bought Estimate, but haven't installed it yet. I'll have to check that out.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check SignCraft Nov/Dec 1997 page 92.
If you want us to send you the Corel file for this work order, just e-mail us.
I like the fact that this form reminds you to ask all the right questions. Another plus is that 20% "Rush" fee. To be honest, we rarely use it, but it does help qualify the pushy, I gotta have it "right away" people to see how bad they REALLY need it! [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Stagner
Visitor
Member # 4091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Stagner   Email John Stagner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like yours, Doug, with the addition of the "Deposit Line" of course.
Mine should show up below, if I do this right. Pretty similar to Jane's, but not as pretty.
We actually have seven different ones, and each type is on a different color paper: one for trophies, one for plaques, one for vehicles, apparel, etc. We usually just use the back for any sketches. I put the notice about up front payment right on the work orders, as well as a 30" x 48" sign on the wall.
I do also use Estimate for the sign-off when I do a quote. It has some neat features.
John

Okay - I give up - how'd you do that picture, Jane?

--------------------
John Stagner
Action Graphics
Salem, MO
agraphics02@earthlink.net

Posts: 98 | From: Salem, Missouri | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any product manufacturer that anyone could reconmend for software to design work orders for printing?

Thank You.

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, Post your fax number with area code & I'll shoot you a copy of mine.

--------------------
Rob Thomas
3410 Ketcham Ct
Beautiful Springs FL 34134

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

(808) 871-8787
thanks Rob.

Here's John's:
 -

--------------------
Doug Allan

Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,
I will fax one of mine tomarrow. I copied another shops & made changes.

[ March 24, 2004, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Robert Thomas ]

--------------------
Rob Thomas
3410 Ketcham Ct
Beautiful Springs FL 34134

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!