Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » On-topic Religious Post (Uh-oh) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On-topic Religious Post (Uh-oh)
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just got back on and was amazed at the number and thoughtfulness of the various responses. It's a profound dialog with some interesting links, and it's even managed to remain civil. Thanks to all of you.

In answer to Mike M's post, I didn't try to talk the customer out of using the fish, just wanted to hear his reason for including it. I only related my experience with the carpet guy, but I've hired numerous people who also use the symbol in ads and not had any problems. Kimberley may have touched on the geographical nature of its use in the south. Especially in the more rural areas, the church represents a big part of our social lives, and I doubt if any region has more religious TV programming or wild-eyed, weird-haired evangelists. The majority of us do not handle snakes or speak in tongues, however. I do tend to see the ever-increasing use of the fish here, and I neither promote nor discourage it. It's just a way of proclaiming your allegiance to God. Sad fact is, you see a LOT more Georgia Bulldogs stickers here, though.

I'm with Ryan on Donald Thompson's fish. He can tattoo one on his head and it would be fine with me. He has that calm assurance from a level of faith I haven't worked hard enough to achieve, but he doesn't seem to mind hanging out with us sinners, and he's never in your face like a born-again Amway salesman.

Two more thoughts to ponder: Why don't you see Stars of David or Buddha stickers on cars? and, this from Dave Barry, "Why do people who want to tell you their religious views almost never want to hear yours?"

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the phrase "what you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you say".

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick thank you to Steve for allowing this very interesting and civil discussion to take place.

And thanks to all who have taken the time to post their opinions, both for and against the "fish" symbol as well as those who have expressed disappointment in past dealings with some Christians. It helps me to be more introspective and aware of my actions, and hopefully will make me a more sensitive, and approachable Christian.

And I think we can all agree that the world would be a better place if everyone was treated with love, respect, and compassion. God bless all, and have a great and successful day!

Oh, and I received some "pop up" messages which were much appreciated, but when I clicked on them they disappeared, and I have no idea how to respond....so don't think I'm ignoring you....so I'll just say "thank you", God bless you and maybe someday we'll meet.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of like the "Letterhead Movement"
Some signmakers are involved,where as some are not
Most are friendly towards each other and will help
if asked to.
We call our selves "Keepers of the Craft" by learning and sharing.
Practice "Religiously" the handlettering strokes
or designing elements.
Meet together via the internet or in person.

Can't say I see a whole lot of differance!

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Pat on this. Seeing the fish on someones car, is kind of like seeing a can of OneShot through the back window. I'd park right next to that car, thinking, "Hey, a brother, I might want to chat a little bit".
I've always seen it as a way of identifying other Christians (hopefully...); actually I never even thought that those that aren't would pay any attention to the symbol at all.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Jones
Visitor
Member # 2795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If you are a true christian and feel God wants you to display that you are a christian then yes I would recommend using it.

2. Yes I would look into a business if they display the fish. But I would also use common sense in their ability to do the job I am seeking.

3. Yes I have a fish story. We are born again christians and have always relied on God to supply for us. We never really advertised that we were christians but never denied it if the question came up. And over the past 4 years our business has survived and grown some. ( started in our house and had to move to a shop and then to a bigger shop). A few weeks ago my husband walked into the office and said make me a fish. SO I did. He placed it over our entrance and we have not been this busy since we started. We are not in your face type of christians but we are not hypocrites either.

There are always going to be people you can and cannot trust, and some people like to jump on the bandwagon of what they feel is the lastest craze. You should always use your gut feeling of a company you plan on using. If they diplay the fish and you don't feel comfortable using them then don't but at least give them the chance to prove theirselves.

As far as mixing business and religion, if you can mix it without offending any one, why not. For us christianity is a way of life. We don't turn off our chistianity when we leave church on Sunday and turn it back on when we get there the following Sunday. Us personally live each day talking to God and following the guidelines he has set for us. Not to say we don't mess up sometimes, cause we do, Jesus is the only person who walked the earth without sin, but it is a daily way of life for us.

--------------------
Randy Jones
Speed FX
P.O.Box 43094
Baltimore,Md.21236 U.S.A.

Keep looking up...

Posts: 77 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randy,

I like your "fish" story, and I think your last paragraph is important to note - - that you live your faith and don't turn it on and off as you come into, and leave church....I think the problem some non believers have is when people make the "claim", but then fail to live it Monday thru Saturday....

So, that is a very good distinction that you made and a positive nugget of truth that all believers should think about.

Have a great day, and continued success in your business.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Parr
Visitor
Member # 3868

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Parr   Email Dave Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You brought tears to eyes again Arthur.

--------------------
Dave Parr
Sign Painter
USA

Posts: 709 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are they killing God's little critters wholesale in the name of Jesus?
Mike, maybe you could think of it as a Rat Crusade...or an Insect Inquisition?

Brad in Kansas

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!