Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Funky things at different zoom levels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funky things at different zoom levels
Darryl Gomes
Visitor
Member # 98

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Darryl Gomes   Email Darryl Gomes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having a problem when I zoom to different levels. Sometimes there are jaggy spikes shooting off the sides of some vectors images.

-
 -

As you see, this is just a quick auto trace of a bitmap I was working with, but there are some spikes shooting out from around the N over the 9. I have gone to wire frame and there is no problem with the lines(other than the poor auto trace). These disappear and reappear when I zoom in or out. This even happens with simple squares and circles.

I have a AMD Duron 750 with 256MB Ram and a 64MB GForce MX400 video card. Does anyone have any suppestions on how to solve this??

Thank You..

Stumped..er..Darryl

[ March 01, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Darryl Gomes ]

--------------------
Darryl Gomes
Underwood, Ontario

Posts: 296 | From: Underwood Ontario Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darryl...If you are using CorelDraw then if there is a minute break in the vector line it will show up as a spike like you show. It won't appear in wireframe and wouldn't show up if you selected no fill with a hairline outline.

Notice how the spike shows white over the black areas and black over the white areas?

Zoom in real close in wireframe and check for a break in the path.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had what Dave suggests, do what you describe, when using coreldraw. But I also remember having funky stuff happen like this, and it was my screen resolution that corel didnt like. If you cant find a break in your vector, try switching to the next lowest screen res. Seems to me it was when I was trying to run at 1600x1200 or some other abnoxiously higher screen res.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darryl Gomes
Visitor
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darryl Gomes   Email Darryl Gomes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using signlab 4.95, I have looked for the munite breaks in the lines and there are none. This happens when I draw something a simple as a plain circle as well.

My resolution is 1280 x 1024 and I have downloaded the newest drivers for my monitor and video card.

Darryl

[ March 01, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Darryl Gomes ]

--------------------
Darryl Gomes
Underwood, Ontario

Posts: 296 | From: Underwood Ontario Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this happen to me in Illustrator on my Mac. I don't know for sure but I suspect that it is a result of low memory. The lines are not really there which I proved upon cutting or printing. I recall this happening only at extreme zoom ins (above 1200%)when I've had alot of programs open, or when I've opened & closed alot of programs thus fragmenting the memory.

I know it's frustrating seeing a line that really isn't there.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5401 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you can get rid of this problem by going into node edit, selecting the nodes in that area and deleting them. Once in a while the node handles will be twisted around causing the spur. Another cause is a lot of nodes in almost the same place. This happens when when tracing some objects.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darryl Gomes
Visitor
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darryl Gomes   Email Darryl Gomes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just drew an elipse in Signlab. It was the only program open, had 59% of my 256MB free. Here are the zoom levels and the changes that show. I zoomed to fit first then zoom out, zoom out,etc..

-

[ March 01, 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Darryl Gomes ]

--------------------
Darryl Gomes
Underwood, Ontario

FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darryl, try rebooting, that happens to me sometimes also. I think it happens when I ungroup or go into edit mode. At times I was lucky it happen on a project I was just starting, so I redid the piece in another new page, it sucks I know. Maybe contact SignLab, but it is wierd when that happens

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a feature that allows you to "select open points"? GA had that and it highlighted any line that was broken...That will tell you if it is a zoom artifact or not.

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Ursta
Visitor
Member # 1738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Ursta   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Ursta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this happen to me before also and I am on colormaster 5.0. It's usually a problem with the clipart or artwork. Simple fix to it is: Create a black square over the cut/slashed part in the graphic, Then weld the whole thing. Click the node edit tool and delete the nodes from the square and the black part of the slash. (sometimes you may try connecting the path also)

hope this helps,

-Ryan

P.S. Do you know if it is cutting like this also? Or just showing up on the screen?

[ March 02, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Ursta ]

--------------------
Ryan Ursta
Ursta Graphics
116 B North Mercer Avenue
Sharpsville Pa. 16150
Call: 724•962•2206
"We make YOU look good"

Known as "Ugraph" on mirc

Posts: 558 | From: Sharpsville Pa. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to have problems like that years ago when using Corel Draw (version 5). Banishing Corel products eliminated the problem.

The problem was that certain programs cause a conflict with the video accelerator when running at high speed.

To solve the problem we had to set our video cards to offer less acceleration.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!