Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 10 commandments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 commandments
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A customer wants the 10 commandments put on both sides of his sleeper cab. I don't have a digtal printer. Does someone know where I could just order a sticker already made up?

Anyone doing this?
Thanks

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten Commandmaents of ---what?
The Ten Commandments Of Love? From the '50s song?

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 3 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[FYI] Exodus 20:3-17

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moses also restated the Ten Commandments in Deuteronomy 5:6-21.

From what I hear, there is a spare set floating around some courthouse in Alabama but I doubt they will work in your application.

You can do an internet search for various Bible translations and probably download the verses so you don’t have to retype them.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gregory Inc. can produce a Scotchprint (the only 5 year durable digital print I know of) from your file. They're easy to work with and will explain the whole process. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two King James Bibles on my design computer and can copy paste but just didn't want to do all that weeding.
Thanks
Maybe I'll check with Gregory.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had some made at a silkscreen shop. They were on aluminum, two different sizes. One was maybe 5.5" wide x 11" tall, and the other maybe 9" tall x 15" wide. The artwork was beautiful, they did a great job laying it out. They disolve the image out of the screen after the run, but he told me that he still has the artwork, should I want more. Maybe he can screen some on adhesive vinyl?

His e-mail address is: UnderCat13@aol.com

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks James

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't put the ten commandments on anything anymore.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be a cool job, Ifn your gonna go digital makes some stone tablets in photoshop, otherwise it might look like newsprint.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that's a GOOD idea Bob. The bible says the original stones were written with the finger of God. That must've been some mighty clean work.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have photoshop but do have Corel 9 and it does some nice stone effects.

Gives me an idea too. We have a nice slab of marble at the shop and it would be cool to sandblast them into it. Granite would be even better but much harder to blast.

I would imagine the original was written in ancient Hebrew. That would look cool.

Hey, I could blast it into some HDU and make it simulate stone.

Just a sample for the showroom maybe

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read the account in Exodus 34:1, 4, Jehovah God instructed Moses himself to carve the second set of tablets out of stone, upon which God then rewrote the commandments. This reminds me of the way my parents made me buy things I broke, for once I had to pay for them out of my pocket, I took better care of them.

I have a mental picture of Moses chiseling away at that rock, muttering under his breath: “I will not lose my temper... I will not lose my temper...”

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Never thought of that being the reason before. Makes sense.
You know Moses did lose his temper on at least two other occasions. One time was when he killed an Egyptian who was beating a Hebrew and another was when God told him to speak to the rock but instead he struck it(in anger). That one cost him. He was not allowed to enter the Promised Land.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and how many PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THEM???? no matter where you put em......let see... thou shall not kill....good start...but alas poor yoric.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that not only were the 10 Commanments written in stone but are also written in our subconscious. But we still do as we please.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia said "I believe that not only were the 10 Commanments written in stone but are also written in our subconscious, , ,"
------------------------
That makes sense. Except for "No other gods," the 10 Cs are social rules, not religious. Break one, and you have trouble with other people, with or without Devine Revenge.

As Old Paint said, "and how many PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THEM???? no matter where you put em..." Hey, but it stokes some people's egos to make a public spectacle of TRYING to elevate popular morality.

Oh well, propaganda makes work for artists and typesetters. Wayne said he has Corel 9. So it would seem all he has to do is download the verses from the 'Net, format in Draw, and find a print shop.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Bruce,
The fellow who wants this project done doesn't seem to be egotistical at all to me. He seems to be a very nice guy with a humble demeanor and a positive attitude, loves his wife and kids and was very kind to me.

There's not a person using this bulletin board ,including myself, as well as this particular customer who hasn't broken one or more of the 10 commandments. But, some people are appalled at some of the wrongs and injustices in our society today and want to take a stand against it.

Even if you want to look at the 10C in a non-religious light, you know very well that doing the things listed in it are wrong. A few days ago, a man here in Florida murdered a little girl. Come to find out he's been arrested about a dozen times previously for various crimes including attacking a woman. He was acquitted of that crime and at the time he committed this one he was in violation of probation. The Judge had dismissed that. He should have been locked up at the time this crime was committed. Now we can look at something like this and remain detached from it. But, what about when it happens to us? Someone steals from us, lies to us or about us, cheats us, kidnaps one of our kids and murders them?

Speaking for myself, it would be very humbling for me to display the 10 commandments knowing full well that I have broken a few of them myself.

Jesus gave the key to the whole thing:
Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself.
He said that on these two hang all the law and the prophets.

So if we could just love our neighbor, all the 10 would just automatically fall into line. If you love someone you won't steal from them, covet what they have, kill them etc.

I don't think my customer is wanting the 10 commandments on his sleeper cab to show what a good fellow he is and that he's better than anyone else. I'm sure he knows full well that none of us is perfect. But it's necessary to have a standard to shoot for.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne the obvious choice is an Edge print, How come no one made this suggestion?,.....

Is'nt that the Eleventh Commandment?

"Thou Shall use The Edgeth on All Smalleth Printith!"

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well said Wayne

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Wayne.I was probably thinking about recent court action involving a funny little local government. When an individual wants to display the 10 Cs, that's fine. I don't see anything wrong with a kid going to school with the 10 Cs printed on his T-shirt.

Anyway, I hope this job is print, not vinyl letters. I've had to weed books like "Public Pool Rules." I'd rather weed Exodus than that, and I'd rather not weed at all!

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kurtzman
Visitor
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Kurtzman   Author's Homepage   Email John Kurtzman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be willing to bet that if 50% of the people would practice the 10 commandments, 90% of the lawyers would out of a job.

J.G. Kurtzman

--------------------
John Kurtzman
J.G. Kurtzman Sign Shop
97 Taylor Ave. Norwalk, Ct. 06854

-----------------------------------
Creative communication since 1959

Posts: 213 | From: So. Norwalk, Ct. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and 80% of the people claim to be "religious".....soooo what the other 30% of them's excuse?

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP, I know your type...you always give 110%, right? [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Op.

First of all, you have to have some theological background before you use scripture willy nilly for religion bashing.
Thou shalt not kill....refers to murder out of evil intent. It does not mean that you can't kill an enemy who is trying to overtake your country or harm your populace, nor does it mean that you can't kill an intruder that means you great physical harm.

Ask a wide range of religious scholars and you'll find mass agreement on this.

No one is perfect...Christians included. We're just saved by God's grace through his Son. It doesn't mean that we are suddenly impervious to temptations and failure. The difference is we are perfect in God's eyes...through faith and striving (although failing at times) to live in God's will.

Ya learn something new every day don't you? Have a great day OP...and smile cause like it or not, God loves you.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours plotter.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

todd as usual..you speak of ..things you know nothing about....you have no concept of my knowledge of theology..1st off. 2ndly my level of "spirituality." also thank you for speaking.."down" to my level of understanding oh mighty one. in the post above you,...just add to the biggest problem i have of so called "christians", they all speak a good game, and manipulate the word of god...but given the chance to pound their chest....and you is off and runnin....conceit, aint that one of them there 7 deadly sins? but yea i say unto you.....hehehe god will forgive you for your transgressions.
how you like dem word comin from the non-the-o-logical person that this good old southern boy is?

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> > Despite how you may have personally felt about the
> > issue, there was a good logical reason for removing
> > the Ten Commandments monument from the
> > Alabama Supreme Court building.
> >
> > You cannot post things like "Thou Shalt Not Steal,"
> > "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery", and
> > "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
> > lawyers, judges and politicians.
> >
> > It creates a hostile work environment.
>

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your eleventh Commandment Neil!!

In Nova Scotia there is a twelfth-

"THOU SHALT NOT HABITATE MORE THAN 3 MILES FROM A TIM HORTON'S"

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He he, I'm climbing the walls from too much Coffee today! there's st least 5 Tim's less than a mile from my shop.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never Thought of this.. GOD was a Sign Painter [Big Grin]

[ February 13, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: William DeBekker ]

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a monument engraver.
Bet it was sharper than any CNC router could do.

Also, He wrote on the wall of the Babylonian King Belshazzar's "party room".

Ever heard the expression "hand writing on the wall"?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

you havent heard.."SIGNPAINTING IS THE ...2ND OLDEST PROFESSION." hahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!