Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Don't you miss Kookaburra here? I do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't you miss Kookaburra here? I do
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems different not seeing Katie posting anymore, anyone else?

[ February 09, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, miss her *GRINS*

mentioned her myself in 1 recent post, but no word from her. Glad to hear you got the thumbs up report from Bushie

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who??

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4874 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know ...the girl that microwaves "Peeps".

I talked to her on chat not long back ...she says school is going weel but she was changing schools this next go round. I think she's pretty busy being "Kookie" I'm sure she'll return here when she has the time.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear some bloke is distracting her...... [Razz]

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4874 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard that too, Adrienne, but don't you think she would have chosen one that would join in with us???not keep her away, bah humbug!
hope she returns soon....

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been trying to phone Katie for the past 3 days:(

Always engaged signal!!!!! Thinks she has the phone line tied up on the net. She lives there hahahahaha

Would be nice to see her here now and then to say "Hi" at least.

I'll keep trying to contact anyway and let know what the situation is [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kids these days.... sheesh..

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kookaburra   Author's Homepage   Email Kookaburra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh, I feel really really bad now.. hehe! Four and a half years later, and there is a reply from the girl in question - though I doubt that most of the people (save those I was rather close to) will really remember me anyway [Wink] .

I thought I would pop in to see what is up in here, and see if my login still worked. Am glad to find that it does. I did a search for Kookaburra and a few 'missing in action' pages came up, then this one too... well, since this one involves me specifically, I thought I would reply in here!

Sorry I have not been in contact with y'all for so long, it has been a busy time over the past years, full of lots of change and other interesting things. So, here is a little of what I have been doing:

I'm now married to a wonderful man, who just happens to be the same one that was referred to earlier in this thread. We have been happily married now for over a year, though we have been together much longer than that. So the name is Kat Johnston now, which is certainly a change [Big Grin]

I've completed a Bachelor of Creative Industries (visual arts) at QUT, and a Graduate Certificate in Arts and Creative Industries Management also. I am currently doing coursework to get the Masters level qualification in the same field. No job at the moment, though I will start looking for something soon, as I will be going down to part-time at university next semester.

I am still painting, drawing, and doing all manner of creative things, including jewelery making. My e-mail has changed a few times, as have my jobs and university courses (ended up starting several variants of the same thing before settling down). I have moved a number of times, and finally have a place big enough to have a dedicated studio area, which will be put to good use once I have moved the last of the moving boxes that are cluttering it up right now.

Have gotten better at a lot of things... don't think I have gotten any worse at any... Jon, if you ever want me to redo that website, I would be *more* than happy to give it a facelift! I can do *much* better now! hehehe.

I think that is all... [Big Grin]

[ October 13, 2007, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Kookaburra ]

--------------------
From Kat Johnston (previously Katie Wright, for those who can remember that far back)

Posts: 531 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock! Kattie! Rock!
Take everyday to the fullest in life!
Glad to hear that you are doing well.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...Good to "see" you Katie.

Pat and I talk about you all the time and wonder what ever became of the little wide eyed "Kookie" we met getting off the plane for her first trip to America.

Thanks for filling us in...sounds like you've done so much since we've had the pleasure of your visit.

Always remember, if you make it back here someday there is a place for you to stay. I'm proud of you and all you have accomplished. You said you were going to do it and you have.

Please come back often... I'm going to copy this and post it seperately just incase you don't return to this post.

Good go Katie...

[ October 13, 2007, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giday Katie!

Glad to hear that you are doing well and please stay in touch!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Katie,
Great to hear from you at last!!!
you'll have to round up your husband & your dad too & come out to our Letterheads event in 2 weeks time!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7027 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kookaburra   Author's Homepage   Email Kookaburra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I will try to check in more regularly here now. Lots of stuff has gone on since way back then... will have to post some pictures of some of the stuff I have done artistically and so on (just to show that I have used my time productively, you know!), though it is still not a touch on what some people on here can do. Si, how is the bird going? Still kicking? [Wink]

I hope to make it state-side again some time in the future, although finances and study, etc, make it certainly feel like it won't be for a little time yet. Oh, just in case y'all were wondering, I haven't had any kids, either [Razz]

I might see about attending that meet if finances allow, though my sign-writing style skills are a little out of shape... not that they were fantastic to begin with *grin*. Would be nice to pick up a dagger liner again though - haven't done that in ages.

[ October 13, 2007, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Kookaburra ]

--------------------
From Kat Johnston (previously Katie Wright, for those who can remember that far back)

Posts: 531 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Great to hear from you; wow, I had to look at the post twice, since I thought it was dejavu, and it was.
Congrats on your marriage to Mr. Right, and your success at school; yes, you have plenty to be proud and happy about. Maybe we'll hook up in the near future as I'll be honored to meet you.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw you first post yesterday, and thought... what??

NO *GRINS* ???

...but then you fit one in the next post... cool!

...some things never change [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kookie, thanks for updating us. We miss you.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6877 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to here you're well Katie. Thanks for the update.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4380 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

And I guess I should post again another 10 years down the track! Ran into a few letterheads at the Design Impact trade show in Sydney this week.

These days I'm working as the marketing and communications lead of a not for profit Arts organisation that helps to bring Arts accessibility to all corners of Queensland! Thankfully I get a lot of design time in for that, though mainly for digitally printed signage for exhibitions and catalogues, programs, etc.

I also occasionally teach laser cutting inductions, 3D printing inductions, workshops on casting and moulding, adobe illustrator and Wordpress at the State Library when they need me for them.

Probably the biggest thing is that I do also run my own business too! It's not signwriting, but it feels sign-writing adjacent in its own way. I design and create laser-cut and hand-detailed jewellery, along with millinery and other accessories. (Admittedly, I probably wouldn't call millinery sign-writing adjacent, but the laser-cut items I might!) I now get orders from all over the globe, from Luxembourg to Malaysia and everywhere in between. It's one of the reasons I was at the trade show this week - looking at equipment for a little further down the track. So yes - seeing the Letterheads set-up there prompted me to come back again and say hi, and give anyone who still remembers me a quick update.

--------------------

Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

I am also very sad to see of Jon's passing. He and his wife were very kind to me in letting me learn from both of them - he for sign-work, and she for doll-making. I will always remember and appreciate what they shared with me, and the passion they had for their crafts.

--------------------

Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kat, thanks for posting. As I scrolled down this thread it was reminiscent of all the folks who once posted on this site regularly. It makes me wonder where everyone went - are they no longer in the sign business? I'm thinking many, like you, are pursuing other interests. Sound like you're doing well. Do you have a website for your jewelry designs? You probably don't remember me but I met you many years ago at a Letterhead meet. I miss the good old days when sign makers were mostly artistic.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1300 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Uselman   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Uselman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat, you do not know me but I check in and lurk around here every couple days. I am a laser enthusiast also and make a lot of earrings and jewelry as well. I to would love to see your website. Gene Mpls/Mn

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Posts: 103 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Hi Jean! The industry landscape sure seems to have changed in the last 15/20 years, for sure. It was so refreshing at the trade show I went to to see some hand-painted stuff amidst a sea of digital prints. While digital certainly has a place, I too miss the demonstration of skill that comes of hand-painted pieces. I am so happy when I see old-school signs, and I have never lost my love, passion and appreciation for beautiful design work!

The website for my jewellery stuff is https://fracturedlace.com - although it currently doesn't show my latest full release - that's completely out of stock at the moment. I am glad I have been able to find a happy balance when it comes to designing and producing my art within a commercial context. Looking forward to shifting into owning my own laser next year (I currently use one outside my own studio), so that I have a greater ability to experiment, take on the increasing demand, and so forth. I am excited for the possibilities!

Did I meet you at the Oklahoma meet?

--------------------

Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Uselman   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Uselman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat- I am very knowledgeable about CO2 lasers [Chicom] if I can help you with your purchase. Gene

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Posts: 103 | From: Mpls, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Thanks Gene! Do you have any great recommendations? I have a particular brand and model in mind, but I welcome all advice from those who have used them commercially for a number of years.

--------------------

Gene Uselman
Visitor
Member # 2508

I would look for a Ruida controller, which uses RDworks software. We have a forum dealing with that software [we did an English translation of the manual] and have quite a few members from Australia and all over the world. I have worked on/with 5 different Chicom lasers, unless you are able to import machines directly, it depends on what is locally available. What you use now may influence what you should do as well. rdworkslab.com is the forum. Gene

--------------------
Gene Uselman
ABC Sign & Graphic
10501 Hwy 65 NE
Blaine, MN

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Katie,
I was at the sign show on the Letterheads stand enthusing younger students to have a go at doing striping & scrolls (except for Thurs arvo when I had to head out to do an installation).
You should have said 'Hi' !

PS we have two lasers here at home on the Downs... one Chinese big brute (130watt) , one great Universal that's playing up, and a dead ULS that I'm tinkering with retro-fitting chinese controls (Ruida RGD6442G) and drives to get back into use, though I've been told I'm mad...

P.S. How's Bob- your Dad?

[ October 17, 2017, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7027 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat, thanks for the link to your website - really cool stuff. My favorites are the hair pieces.

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1300 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Another four years down the track, and I thought I'd pop in again to wave... can you believe that I registered on here over 22 years ago now? I just did a deep-dive into the archives to find posts from when I came to America for a meet... with a lot of help from forum members. There was crowd-funding involved before "crowdfunding" (in the modern sense of the term) existed!

To say that that experience made an impact is... well, it's an absolute understatement. I still remember it often with much fondness - and I even still have panels and kits and brushes from those meets... not to mention an enduring fondness for peeps.

I'm so grateful this site and forum still exists - it means a lot to me, even though I don't look in that often these days.

So an update on my creative practice, just in case anyone is interested (if anyone still remembers me!):

I do indeed now have a laser cutter - my beautiful trotec speedy 300 is a gorgeous machine that has enabled me to create things I could only dream of doing for a long time. She's my workhorse, and the pride of my little studio.

I now run my business (Fractured Lace) crafting jewellery and millinery full-time. I've even just employed somebody to help me keep up with the workload! I feel very fortunate that I've gotten to this point, and I can't wait to see how things progress on that front in the years that come.

So... yeah! 22 years after joining this forum, I'm still going. Still being creative, still picking up a paintbrush every other day, and even still making a sign now and then!

Anyhow, that's all for now... so this 18 year old thread continues just that little bit longer. [Smile]

--------------------

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update on who you are and what you're up to.

As far as others, does anyone have any info on Monte J? I remember his noodle was fried and couldn't respond and that's where I left off with him. At one point we were talking about vacationing together.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6877 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!